Van Loo Postdoctoral Fellowship Program

Pengyu Le

Van Loo Post-Doctoral Fellow and Assistant Professor

Research interest

My research fields are differential geometry and general relativity. I am especially interested in Lorentzian geometry and their applications to specific problems in general relativity. I have studied the surface theory in Lorentzian manifolds and contributed to the criteria of the existence of trapped surfaces which is closely related to black holes in general relativity. I am also interested in the connections between Lorentzian geometry and other kinds of geometries.

Another focus of my research is the geometry of null hypersurfaces, which plays important roles in understanding the geometry of spacetimes. An application is the Penrose’s inequality relating the total mass of the spacetime and the mass of a black hole in it.  In the future, I want to continue exploring these fields and broaden our knowledge about them.

Education/Degree

B.Sc., Tsinghua University (2013)
Ph.D., ETH Zurich (2018)

Contact

Department of Mathematics
University of Michigan
3827 East Hall
530 Church Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1043

Phone: (734) 764-6442
Email: pengyul@umich.edu

Sitai Li

Van Loo Post-Doctoral Fellow and Assistant Professor (beginning 2019)

Research Interest

My main research interests are integrable nonlinear partial differential equations and their applications. These equations possess a remarkably deep mathematical structure, and are also important from a practical point of view. They appear as the governing equations to many concrete physical situations, such as acoustics, Bose-Einstein condensates, optics, plasmas and water waves. In particular, I apply analytic methods, including inverse scattering transform and long-time asymptotics, and numerical simulations to study the nonlinear Schrödinger-type systems and the Maxwell-Bloch systems and their solutions.

Education/Degree

B.Sc., Nankai University (2010)
Ph.D.,  University at Buffalo, SUNY (2018)

Contact

Mathematics Department
1821 East Hall
530 Church Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1043

Phone: 734-615-4413
sitaili@umich.edu
personal website: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~sitaili/

Jörn Zimmerling

Van Loo Postdoctoral Fellow and Assistant Professor

Research Interest
My research interests lie in the field of numerical methods for partial differential equations.

Currently, my research interests can be mainly summarized within two categories:

1. Forward problems: Fast and efficient numerical solvers of PDEs with variable coefficients and in complex geometries. These involve reduced-order modeling, Krylov subspace projection methods, computation of resonances, fast numerical linear algebra and scientific computing.
  2. Inverse problems: Estimation of coefficients of PDEs from remote measurements.

Education/Degree

B.Sc., Delft University of Technology (2012)
M.Sc., Delft University of Technology (2014)
Ph.D., Delft University of Technology (2018)

Contact
Mathematics Department
1844 East Hall
530 Church Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1043
Phone: (734) 936-0085
jzimmerl@umich.edu